Notice of public consultation – June 2021
Draft updated guidelines for stroke management (pre-hospital care, telehealth, head position, atrial fibrillation, arm activity, memory, and swelling of extremities)
The Stroke Foundation Guidelines Working Group has prepared draft guidelines for stroke management, with evidence-based recommendations for pre-hospital care, acute management (telehealth and head position), secondary prevention (atrial fibrillation management), rehabilitation (arm activity, memory and telehealth), and managing complications (swelling of the extremities).
These guidelines will be submitted to the NHMRC for approval under section 14A of the National Health and Medical Research Council Act 1992.
As part of the approval process, the Stroke Foundation are seeking submissions on the draft guidelines from 10 June to 16 July 2021.
The draft guidelines are available to view electronically on the MAGICapp platform:
- Pre-hospital care (Chapter 1 Pre-hospital care) – new practice point on education.
- Acute stroke telehealth services (Chapter 3 Acute medical and surgical management) – new topic and recommendation.
- Head position (Chapter 3 Acute medical and surgical management) – new topic and recommendation.
- Management of atrial fibrillation (Chapter 4 Secondary prevention) – practice point updated to weak recommendation for percutaneous left atrial appendage occlusion.
- Arm activity (Chapter 5 Rehabilitation) – updated recommendation for virtual reality and interactive games.
- Memory (Chapter 5 Rehabilitation) – new weak recommendation for cognitive rehabilitation strategies and updated consensus recommendations.
- Telehealth in rehabilitation (Chapter 5 Rehabilitation) – new topic and recommendation.
- Swelling of the extremities (Chapter 6 Managing complications) – consensus-based recommendations updated to include passive mobilisation.
For additional information see Living guidelines updates.
The draft guidelines were made available to the public on Thursday 10 June 2021, and all submissions must be received by 5pm, Friday 16 July 2021.
How to give feedback
Submissions can be made by following the above links to the MAGICapp platform, and leaving a comment under the Feedback tab below each recommendation.
Please note you need to sign in to MAGICapp to leave a comment. Create an account for free at MAGICapp.org.
For further assistance, please contact the Stroke Foundation Guidelines Development Team, email: email@example.com